Sunday, January 29, 2006

Jesus Freaks and whatnot

Hi all - I stumbled across Dixon's email addy on emergent.com and fired off a missive. He was both gracious and foolish enough to invite me to this blog and to your next cohort meeting, which I hope to attend. I'm more than willing to sell you the real, honest-to-gosh Truth for a mere $49.95 (each), which would save you the trouble of discussing the subject at length and leave more time for pool and beer.

As I wander through the miasma of emergent/post-modern/neoChristian/whatsis, it occurs to me that this really isn't all that new. In fact, it started back in the early 70s when those longhaired freaky people stumbled over Jesus on their way to Nirvana and decided to go tell the folks at 1st Baptist and Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility what they'd seen. The nice Church folks smiled politely, told them to cut their hair and quit trying to impersonate Jesus, and proceeded to inculcate the Emergence out of them.

If they hadn't been so high, I suspect the Jesus Freaks might have twigged to the difference between Modern Churchianity and Jesus a long time ago. But it seems to be mostly their kids' generation who is waking up and embracing Life. It's fun to watch, and promises more than anyone other than God can possibly deliver.

Anyways, one thing I like to do is try to talk to the post-post-modern folks about how Jesus doesn't wear a suit or give out tickets to heaven to all the good people while spanking all the rest really really hard forever, amen. His Gospel is all about life and love and stuff that most of us really want more of. And one place I like to go to talk about this stuff is the Rainbow Gathering. There's one in Florida in February (14-28). I'm planning to drive down on the 16th. Gas-sharing passengers are welcome.

Enough rambling. See you next week.
=^)

1 comment:

Annie said...

Sounds like you have got it right. God never intended our relationship with him to become mired in ritual or religion. These things came from man. By the way - it is not only the kids who are 'hip' to this - I am a grandmother.